Tamman Bagilla


This Persian inspired Iraqi dish was amazing, the flavor was not quite what I was expecting. I'm used to eating fresh dill so having it cooked in the rice was unexpected but also really delicious.

Two changes I made to the recipe. I used it as a side dish, which looking around online looks like is done by more than just me, and left out the lamb. I do plan on making it with the lamb in the future because we loved this, but for now it worked really well as a side.

The second change was I can't get fava beans locally so I swapped them for edamame. I have no idea what fava beans taste like so I have no idea what the flavor difference was. My other option was lima beans that seem like they might be similar.

1 1/2 c. basmati rice
1/4 c. edamame, lima beans, or fava beans
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 small onion, minced really fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. fresh dill, finely chopped
2 tsp. dried dill
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped really fine
2 chicken bouillon cubes
dash black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a medium sides pot. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic, and fresh dill and cook for an additional 30 seconds or just until you smell the garlic. 

Immediately add the rice and cook, stirring, for about a minute. Add 3 cups of water, the edamame beans, dried dill, pepper, and bouillon. Bring to a boil and cover with a tight fitting lid. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. 

At this point taste for salt and how cooked the rice is. Adjust the salt as needed and keep cooking also as needed. 

Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh parsley. 

Enjoy with grilled chicken or steak or lamb shish kebab.

Comments

Popular Posts