Salatet Fool Akhdar - Libyan Bean an Artichoke Salad


Libya is an Arab country in the north of Africa on the Mediterranean. Both of these influences are reflected in Libyan cooking. A lot of North African cooking techniques and slices are common as well as the simple dressed salads and dishes of the Mediterranean. Olive oil is a staple.

Anyone who knows me knows I have a weakness for simple salads drizzled with good olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. This Libyan salad with the spicy peppers and warmed garlic was such a delicious lunch. If you can get fava beans where you are, that is the proper bean to make this salad with but one that was not an option for me so I went with lima beans.

I keep a book, a list of food I've come across and want to make. Then when I'm menu planning or need something specific I know where to look first. So when I joined From our Dinner Table, another group blogging event, and the theme was Summer Salads that is where I turned to first. And I am so glad I wrote it down, the recipe had slipped my mind and if I hadn't ever gotten to eat this it would be a tragedy.

1 (12 oz) bag frozen lima beans
1 (13.75 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained
1 large clove garlic, miced
4 Thai bird chilis, or similar
2 - 3 Tbsp olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Salt to taste

Place the lima beans in a large pot of salted boiling water and cook for 15 minutes. Add the artichoke hearts and simmer an additional 5 minutes. 

While the beans are cooking chop the chilis and the garlic really fine. If you want a less spicy option remove the seeds before chopping. 

Remove the beans and hearts with a slotted spoon or drain gently. Immediately toss with the chopped chilis and garlic, it should make the garlic fragrant. Season lightly with salt.

Chill for 30 minutes. 

Drizzle with the olive oil and squeeze half a lemon over the top and toss to coat. Check for salt and adjust.before serving.
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

Comments

  1. This sounds like an interesting and tasty salad. I might be inspired to create an entire Libyan meal around it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts