Oi-muchim 오이무침


 
I'm not sure why this recipe hasn't had it's own post before now, it has a cameo in my Spicy Stir-Fried Pork post, but just called banchan. I feel it deserves a post of it's own. Also like with the pork recipe, I started with Maangchi. Now though I've made enough Korea food that I feel comfortable tweeking the recipe to suit our tastes perfectly. Typically her recipes don't need much, if any at all. This one though I like to add a splash of apple cider vinegar to.

It's so simple to throw together and very, very, delicious. It's one of my top three bonchan, the other two being the bean sprouts and gamjajorim.  I wasn't sure how I would like cold cucumbers on warm cooked rice but some of the sauce ran on to my rice on my plate one day and not it's my new favorite lunch. It's quick and easy and goes great with a hard boiled egg on top. 

I have 4 to 5 cucumbers listed because the ones at my grocery store are small. IF you are using a large English cucumber 1 should be plenty. Unless you want to double to triple the batch, which is both acceptable and understandable.

4 - 5 cucumbers
3 green onions, greens and all, sliced
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minces
3 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp. gochugaru
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
dash black pepper

Slice the cucumber on the bias about a 1/4 of an inch thick. Stir everything else together in the bottom of a bowl and toss in the sliced cucumbers. Stir to combine and eat immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts