Swedish Cream Wafers



With an international themed blog it's not really surprising that I love other cultures. I used to love hosting a Christmas Around the World festival with a local homeschool group. It was educational and Christmassy all at once. But really it was a plot to get other people to make food for me. Last year one of the families that participated did Sweden and made some exceptionally delicious cookies. They are super light and tender. And by tender I mean there is a more than likely chance they will fall apart in your hand if you underbake them. They aren't going to get tough of dry, but with the slightest, tiniest, bit of golden on the bottom they hold together so much better when filling.

 A little secret about me, while I love cookies, I hate making them. detest, loathe, and abhor making them. You have to form every single one of the individually. That's one of the reasons I love my grandmas Christmas tree cookies. You form them all in to a Christmas Tree shape and then slice them to put on the pan and bake. So these to make it easier on myself I drop a smallish glob of the chilled dough in to the sugar. Then I roll it around so it's not sticky, form it in to a ball, roll it in sugar again, and then press flat with the bottom of a glass bowl. It works great and no cutting of the cookies.

I was really surprised to learn that they only take flour, butter, and cream in them. But trust me, and the Swedes, these are amazing delicious.

2 sticks of butter, softened
1/3 c. heavy cream
2 c. flour

1/2 c. white sugar, NOT powdered

1 stick butter, room temperature
2 - 3 c. powdered sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
food coloring

Beat two sticks of butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the flour until well mixed and then add the cream and mix on slow until combined.

Chill for an hour. Pre-heat the oven to 375*.

Scoop out a rounded teaspoon of the dough and drop in the sugar to coat. Roll in to a ball and roll again in the sugar. Press flat and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. Prick the top with a fork.

Bake at 375 for 8 - 9 minutes until just the tiniest bit of browning around the bottom. 

Remove from the oven and cook completely. 

Beat the remaining stick of butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar, vanilla, and food coloring if using. Beat in the powdered sugar until mixed. Keep beating until light and fluffy scraping down the sides as needed. 

Use a knife or piping bag to spread or pipe the frosting on to half of the cookies and top with the remaining ones. 

Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. 



Comments

Popular Posts