Rūpjmaizes kārtojums



     A friend's husband has some Latvian connections via work. So being good little homeschoolers task number one was to research the country a little. Via Pinterest. For recipes. I mean come one, who didn't see that coming? But I still maintain it's a very good way to learn about various regions.

     So I typed "Latvian food" into the Pinterest search and really not a whole ton came up that was of interest. But this looked really good so I pinned it. And forgot about it. Then yesterday I realized I had a container of mascarpone cheese in the fridge that needed to be used up. The only thing missing was cranberries. So the cheese is being used, but now I have three-quarters of a bag of cranberries left to use up.

     Anyway "Layered Bread Dessert" is fairly tasty. The first time I made it I did make some changes that I'm sure Americanize it. A friend I was cooking for at the time said she didn't want to try it with the rye bread so I made it with whole wheat. I'm not sure what I was expecting the candied bread crumbs to taste like, but they tasted like gingerbread. I thickened the cranberry mixture with a little cornstarch and I doubled the whipping cream in the cheese to stretch it a little and make it easier to get in the pan. The second time I made it for the update I decided to go a little more original. the only thing I still do my way instead of Latvian is letting it sit. It is supposed to de assembled beforehand giving the crumbs time to soften up but I love them fresh and crisp so I eat it right away. 

     So I think this is something I make again and again. We really like it. I wasn't sure at first how I would like the spiced crumbs with the cranberry but it worked exceptionally well and tastes very Christmassy. 


Latvian Layered Dessert Recipe
20 oz. berries (lingonberry or cranberry)
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 c. water
1/4 - 1/2 c. sugar depending on your personal taste

6 sliced rye bread, dried
1/4 c. sugar
dash allspice
dash cinnamon

2 (8 oz.) containers mascarpone cheese
1 c. heavy whipping cream, whipped
1/4 c. powdered sugar

     Simmer together the berries, water, and sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the berries are soft. Combine the cornstarch and just enough water to make a smooth paste. Stir into the berries and simmer until thick. If you are using cranberries instead of lingonberries you will not need the cornstarch, the berries will thicken on their own, just simmer 10 minutes longer. Set aside to cool. 

     Beat the mascarpone cheese until smooth. add the powdered sugar and beat again until combined. Fold the whipped cream into the cheese mixture. Place in the fridge until ready to use. 

     Grate the dry bread until it is crumbs, I usually do that part in the food processor. Place in a skillet along with the sugar and spices. Turn the pan to medium and cook, stirring constantly, for about 15-20 minutes or until the sugar is melted around the crumbs. Set aside to cool. Once it's cool use a fork to break it up, the sugar will cause it to stick together. 

     Finally, you get to assemble!! There will be three layers of crumbs, and two layers of berries and cream. You can do this in individual serving dishes or one large pan. Layer a third of the crumbs and then top with half of the cream and then half the berries. I have found that it is easiest to get the cream onto the loose crumbs by putting it into a pastry bag and piping it in. Top with half the berries and then another third of the crumbs. Repeat with the cream and berries and then the last third of the crumbs. 

     Serve immediately. Or chill overnight allowing the crumbs to soften. 

 
Original Picture - Post Updated 5/4/2022

Comments

Popular Posts