Hawaiian Coconut Shortbread



























I was just thinking two nights ago how sad I was that I was just about done with my run of tropical recipes. Sure I have other places to visit and eat but I really like coconut milk in just about everything. And then I got invited to watch Moana with some friends, one of which is from Hawaii. I brought haupia and she brought these. Coconut shortbread cookies she said are just like her grandmothers. And they were of course delicious. So I can't claim the recipe but this is what she sent me.

1 stick unsalted butter, softened 
1/3 c. cane sugar (also called turbinado or sugar in the raw) 
1 tsp. vanilla extract 
1 1/4 c. flour 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1/3 c. macadamia nuts, very finely crushed 
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips 

Line cookie trays with parchment paper.

Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, flour, and salt and mix until combined. Add in the finely crushed nuts and chocolate chips and mix combined. 

Scoop cookie dough in to 1 inch balls, they don’t spread very much so don't worry about placing them close together. Press dough balls down slightly to flatter and place on the cookie tray. 

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Chill cookies on trays for 15 minutes. Bake chilled cookies for about 12 minutes, until they start to get golden around the edges. Let cool completely before removing from cookie sheets to a cooling rack. 

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts