Sumac Onions



Falafel stands in Israel are full of lots of delicious salads that are served on top. There are a few standard salads you see everywhere, cucumber and tomato chopped salad, pickled veggies, pickles, sliced cabbage, to name a few. One of the salads I didn't see as often at falafel stands, sometimes, but not always, was a purple onion salad or condiment I loved. I tended to see it more with shawarma. Either way it's amazing. And I was sad when I left and had no idea how to make it. So when my friend Penny from Penniless Parenting posted a recipe I got really excited. Before I got a chance to make them though I was making Kenyan food and one of their salads has onions made with a technique involving salted onions. They are left to sit much like macerating strawberries to bring out their juice and soften them. So I combined the two recipes and they were exactly like I wanted them to be. Don't be scared off by the amount of salt you start with, most of it is rinsed away.

2 large red onions
1/4 c. salt
1 Tbsp. sumac
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. chopped parsley

Slice the onions fairly thin. Cover with salt and massage slightly to rub in. Let stand for 20 minutes. Massage again and let stand for an additional 5 minutes. 

Rinse with cold water and drain. Rinse and drain a second time before covering with ice water and allowing to stand for 30 minutes. this time drain really well, squeezing out excess water.

Place in a dry bowl and sprinkle with the sumac. Stir gently to coat. Drizzle with the olive oil and parsley and toss again to coat. 

Serve immediately or store in the fridge until ready to use.

Original Picture - Post Updated 4/8/2020

Comments

Popular Posts