Palestinian Preserved Labneh


This delicious Middle Eastern dish is made with homemade cheese, crushed nuts, fresh herbs and plenty of olive oil. Straining reduces the liquid, which in turn helps the yogurt stay good for a longer period of time.

36 oz. plain whole fat yogurt (cow, goat, or sheep)
1 tsp salt
Chopped fresh herbs (optional) 

1/2 c. mixed chopped nuts
Lots of Olive oil

linen cloth
String or zip tie

Combine the salt, yogurt, and fresh chopped herbs if using. Place the cloth in a bowl and lift all the sides of the cloth up around the yogurt. Tie shut with string or hold shut and use the zip tie to close and create a loop with the cloth. Suspend in the fridge over a bowl.

Leave the cheese for 12 hours. Roll the thickened yogurt cheese in to balls an inch across, roll in the chopped nuts and place in a large jar. 


Once all the cheese is rolled cover with olive oil. Cheese keeps for a week. 

Delicious Dairy Recipes


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

Comments

  1. How cool is that! Making your own labneh sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yogurt I need to use, too. I love labneh. But I've never had it preserved like that. Now...I just need to find a jar or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this but I'd love to try it. Who doesn't want to make their own cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried something like this before, but it sounds tasty and i'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks unique and amazing. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try this! I love that there are nuts in this dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts