Chamorro Coconut Candy


It's been coconut week in the Pandemonium kitchen but I may have over shot a little and ended up with more coconut than I had recipes to use. I went looking and came across this delicious recipe from Annie's Chamorro Kitchen. It use up what I had left and I got candy out of it!

2 c. freshly grated coconut meat
1 c. sugar

Heat the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. It will start to look liquidy on the bottom and then turn golden. You want to stir it some so the sugar doesn't get too dark before the top layer melts. Don't worry if it starts to look clumpy, the clumps will melt too. 

Once the sugar is completely melted and a dark golden color dump in the coconut meat all at once. Stir to combine, if the sugar reclumps don't sorry, it will still cook out. 

Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool until you can handle it. 

Shap in to balls. I found the mixture to be really sticky and hard to shape so I wrapped it in plastic wrap and twisted it to put a little pressure on the candy to hold it together. 

Eat immediately or leave wrapped in plastic wrap to store. 

Comments

Popular Posts