German Cheesy Leek Soup
This cheesy soup is a German classic adapted from "Where's My Spoon?" that is perfect for dairy month. It's also perfect for Saturday Soup Swappers, who's theme this month is "Cheesy Soups" . The cream and cheese make for a satisfying and delicious meal and pair beautifully with the pork and leeks. And as an added bonus this recipe is so very, very, easy to throw together.
Everyone in my family adored this soup, it didn't make it to leftovers, even when I doubled the recipe. The cheese here has a couple options. I went to my local German market and got the "Sahne" cheese cubes, and I double the amount called for in the original recipe. If you don't happen to have an adorable little German market in town Laughing Cow swiss cheese triangles work pretty well here too.
3 leeks, sliced
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
4 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. heavy cream
2 pkg cheese triangles, German or Laughing Cow
Add the pork, caraway, garlic, pepper, and salt to a pot. Cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, until the pork is about 75% cooked.
Add the leeks and cook until the pork is completely cooked and the leeks are almost cooked.
Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the cream and cheese triangles and keep cooking over medium to melt the cheese, stirring occasionally, about 5 more minutes.
Serve with crusty bread.
- Ashley - Cheese Curd In Paradise: Pepper Jack Potato and Bacon Soup
- Karen - Karen's Kitchen Stories: Sopa de Queso - Cheese Soup with Chiles and Potato
- Cindy - Cindy's Recipes and Writings: Cheesy Broccoli Pesto Noodle Soup
- Wendy - A Day in the Life on the Farm: Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Soup
- Camilla - Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Chilled Watermelon and Rosé Soup
- Juli - Pandemonium Noshery: German Cheese and Leek Soup
- Sneha - Sneha's Recipe: Vegetable Garlicky Cottage Cheese Soup
- Sid - Sid's Sea Palm Cooking: Chicken Cheezy Soup
- Barrie - Hardly A Goddess: Weeknight Cheeseburger Soup with RealCheese!