Jamaican Pumpkin rice
Welcome to this months Eat the World recipe challenge! We are heading over to Jamaica for a bit of time in the sun! Which sounds excellent because as I am typing this we are in the middle of a huge ice storm. It's gorgeous, but it's not warm, not even a little. On days like this I find myself in the kitchen cooking up all kinds of things. The cold day outside was the perfect setting for a carb-o-licious meal of beans and rice.
Jamaican cuisine touts a number of delicious recipes. Jamaican Corn Soup is a family favorite. Jamaican rice and peas, rice and kidney beans cooked in a savory coconut milk, are another Jamaican staple. Callaloo, a dish of stewed greens is also on the list of Jamaican delights.
This recipe, while Jamaica is a tropical island, fit right in with the flavors of fall. It has pumpkin which is an iconic fall flavor but it also has some delicious spices to accent it all. This recipe is a one pot wonder and can be made into a one pot dinner quite easily. I opted for black beans on the side but throw drained and rinsed black beans in with the rice or some shredded chicken would be amazing as well.
Check out all the wonderful Jamaican dishes prepared by fellow Eat the World members and share with #eattheworld. Click here to find out how to join and have fun exploring a country a month in the kitchen with us!
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Jamaican Stew Peas
- Amy’s Cooking Adventures: Jamaican Chicken & Pumpkin Soup
- Palatable Pastime: Jamaican Jerk Chicken Burger
- Sneha’s Recipe: Jamaican Saucy Jerk Chicken Wings With Homemade Jerk Seasonings
- CulturEatz: Jamaican Ginger Beer Recipe
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Banana Fritters
- Sugarlovespices: Jamaican Beef Patties
- Making Miracles: Jamaican Chicken Stew
- Kitchen Frau: Rice and Peas (Coconut Rice and Red Beans)
Check out previous #Eat the World contributions!
- Laos - Kua Mee
- Netherlands - Mosterdsoep
- Bangladesh - Zafrani Pulao
- Colombia - Bandeja Paisa
- Bulgaria - Sausage Stew
- Senegal - Poulet Yassa
- Fiji - Banana Cake
- Iraq - Iraqi Lamb Stew
- Trinidad and Tobago - Trini Spiced Macaroni Pie
- Portugal - Tremocos Beans
- Ukraine - Pickled Tomatoes
- Egypt - Ful Medames
- Finland - Vispipuuro
- Israel - Chicken Shawarma
- Cambodia - Khmer Lok Lak
- Georgia - Satsivi
- England - Lancashire Hotpot
- Ethiopia - Misir Wot
- Poland - Zupa Orgorkowa
- India - Gulab Jamun
- Lebanon - Garlic Toum
- Argentina - Revuelto Gramajo
- France - Choucroute Garnie
- New Zealand - Hokey Pokey Ice Cream
- Sweden - Farskpotatis
- Kenya - Nyama Choma