Färskpotatis - Swedish Dill Potatoes #EatTheWorld



This is my second month with Eat the World Recipe Challenge hosted by CulturEatz. Last month was exciting as I took part in my first group blogging event on this blog. I researched, cooked, wrote, and prepared. I had a large group of friends over to help me eat it all and let me know what they though (they loved it BTW). And then the day to post came and I immediately couldn't wait for the next country. Which it turns out is Sweden!

Dill has been me new favorite herb. The first fresh herb I was really familiar with was basil. Then I discovered rosemary. Last year was chives. I think this year is dill. remember the kotleti and green beans? The sauce ends up with a nice light flavor, it was subtle with the potatoes. If you want a more pronounced flavor jut add more of the fresh herb.

My initially thought the sauce wasn't going to be thick enough to cling to the potatoes. Once I combined them and stirred for a few minute the hot potatoes thickened the sauce wonderfully. When making the béchamel make sure the milk is warmed when you add it to the butter roux. This helps prevent lumps. I measure out the milk and then microwave for 30 seconds before adding.

3 lb. baby or fingerling potatoes
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
2 1/2 c. milk, warmed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped

Check the potatoes for bad spots. 

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes to the water. Since some were bigger than other I added the large ones and let them cook for 5 minutes before adding the smaller ones. 

Meanwhile melt the butter in a small pan. Once melted add the flour and pepper and cook, stirring, until the color changes slightly. Add the warmed milk and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. 

Add the salt and keep warm until the potatoes are done. 

Drain the potatoes. Add the cream sauce and the dill. Stir them all together for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens around the potatoes. 

Serve immediately.

*********************************


Check out all the wonderful Swedish dishes prepared by fellow Eat the World members and share with #eattheworld. Click here to find out how to join and have fun exploring a country a month in the kitchen with us!

Wendy: Rabarberpaj

Comments

  1. I just love potatoes and dill. I remember going out to a farm in Eastern Alberta and having the potatoes in a fresh farm dill cream sauce. Needless to say lip smacking good I even scraped the dish to get any remaining sauce off. Your potatoes look amazing and making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about making a dish like this for this month. It looks very good. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These potatoes look amazing! Talk about comfort food! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These potatoes look incredible! I love the creamy dill coating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love dill too and came close to making this recipe. Yours looks great! Thanks for participating (and btw its CulturEatz - one words ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dill is a favorite in this house and good catch on the name, I fixed it!

      Delete
  6. Yum! Potatoes and dill are a fabulous combination. Thanks for joining us, again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts