Dakgalbi


I've made this several times now and changed it slightly each time. The first time I used napa cabbage and while I preferred that cabbage to the regular it has quite a bit more moisture and made it watery. The second time, the one I feature in the pictures, the sauce was much tastier but I still liked the napa cabbage better. I used the water instead of mirin since I don't use alcohol and I think it doesn't cook off the same. So I reduce the liquid in my cause and keep the napa cabbage.

From there it was pretty straight forward and simple. I love that you blend the sauce and then just place everything in one pot and simmer. I also double the rice cakes because, yum. That is veryone in my houses favorite part.

3 Tbsp. soy sauce
10 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
1/4 c. gochujang
1/3 c. gochugaru
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. water

1 lb. chicken breast, cut in to thin strips
1/2 napa cabbage, cut in to bite sized piece 
2 carrots, sliced
1 Korean sweet potato, peeled and cut in to bite sized pieces 
1 - 2 chilies, sliced
1 onion, roughly chopped
10 large perilla leaves, chopped
10 oz. rice cakes

Cover the rice cakes in water and soak for 10 minutes. My local market sells fresh ones, if you are lucky enough to have to squishy fresh ones they wont need soaking.

In a blender or food processor combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, gochujang, gochugaru, black pepper, honey, and water. Blend until smooth. Set aside. 

In a large skillet layer the cabbage, rice cakes, carrots, sweet potato, onion, chilies, perilla leaves, chicken, and sauce. 

Cover and turn the heat to medium high and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, stir, and cover again. Simmer covered an additional 5 minutes. 

Remove the lid and stir. Keep cooking until the chicken and vegetables are cooked. 

Don't serve on plates, instead everyone gets a set of chop sticks and enjoy sitting around the pot eating and chatting. 


Comments

Popular Posts