Melon sa Malamig


This is a light and delicious Filipino drink that would be welcome at any BBQ or afternoon on a porch from Tara's Multicultural Table . A few years ago I made Melon Ice Candy and was really disappointed when they turned out bitter and inedible. I assumed the cantaloupe was bad until I read that the melon reacts with the dairy if left to sit.

Since I didn't have any condensed milk on hand anyway, and I did have some coconut milk, I decided to swap it out and do a test. I mixed it and tasted and it was good, really good. So then I let it sit for 10 minutes and tasted it again, and then at 20 minutes, and 30. I am happy to report that it stays sweet. It's not authentic however, so if you want to leave it alone add the sweetened condensed milk to individual glasses right before it is to be consumed.

1 large cantaloupe
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. ice
1 can coconut milk

Simmer together the sugar, half a cup of water, and the vanilla extract. 

Cut the cantaloupe in half and remove the seeds. Shred the orange fresh in to a large pitcher. Top with the ice, sugar syrup, coconut milk, and 4 - 5 cups of water, or fill the pitcher. 

Stir to combine. 

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts