Aebleskiver



In between cooking I love checking out thrift shops. It's like looking for buried treasure, the odds and ends, antiques, fun glass and cute dishes. It's where I get a lot of my serving dishes, and lately some of my props for pictures. An aebleskiver pan was just sitting on the shelf one day when I went in and I grabbed it immediately. I shared my find in a local cooking group, along with the fact that after three batches I was still looking for a good recipe, when someone said " I love those. I have my Grandmother's recipe she brought with her from Copenhagen". So this recipe is via Copenhagen.



2 c. buttermilk
2 c. flour
3 eggs, separated 
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Jam, Nutella, applesauce, blueberries, etc...
Powdered sugar

Oil to grease the pan
Heatproof pastry brush
Bamboo Skewer

Place the pan on the stove over medium heat and allow to cool while you make the batter. 

In a clean, dry, bowl beat the egg whites until soft pecks form. Set the bowl aside. 

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar, Pour the buttermilk, vanilla, and egg yolks over the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add in the egg whites and gently fold to combine. 

Dip the brush in the oil and shake off as much as you can. Lightly brush the inside of each well with oil. Fill about 2/3 of the way full and immediately drop a small drop of filling in each. 

Allow to cook until the batter is bubbly (like when a pancake cooks) and the sides look dry. Using the bamboo skewer poke it through the batter to the bottom to lift from the cooked shell. Lift and turn so the cooked underside is now a dome on top. All to cook all the way through. 

Using the skewer remove from the pan and repeat until all the batter is used. Dust the top with powdered sugar and eat immediately.


Comments

Popular Posts