Melon Ice Candy


I made so many popsicles one time we had a freezer full of them. It started with the desire for a quick breakfast. I made a huge batch of my favorite smoothie and froze it as popsicles. It was actually great but the popsicles came in 100 pack and that left me with extras to be creative with. Sure I could have saved them for more smoothies, but popsicles were more fun. It happened to be summer and this Filipino treat happened to show up somewhere on pinterest. And I happened to have cantaloupe. I did not however have condensed milk so we ate that one and I got another one when I picked up the condensed milk. Exact proportions on this aren't super important. Just a ballpark figure about about how much to throw in there. 

I found after eating them though that it was bitter and we didn't enjoy them at all. Reading Kawaling Pinoy's post on melon chiller, a drink that is very similar, its how the cantaloupe reacts with the dairy. And so I swapped it out with coconut milk. I even taste tested it at intervals for 30 minutes. All was still good and it still adds a delicious creaminess to the pops. 


1 large cantaloupe, grated
3 c. water
1/2 - 1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 can coconut milk


Bring the 1 cup of water to a boil and add the sugar and vanilla. Cook until the sugar is dissolved.

Stir in the coconut milk until smooth and cool until it's cool enough to touch. Stir in the melon and additional water.  Pour in to the popsicle bags, seal, and freeze. 







Comments

Popular Posts