Chicken Biryani


I received a message this week from a complete stranger asking "How did you learn to make all these beautiful international dishes?". I learned to cook growing up, but the international part of it? I find people who have traveled and pester, ask them to show me what they know. And from there I use google and more and more frequently YouTube.

This particular dish was part of a week of Indian cooking sparked by the Indian culture night I posted about yesterday. That, YouTube, and the The Bombay Chef. I followed the recipe fairly well, but also had to make it to feed a few more mouths than his recipes, and also to accommodate what I have in my spice cabinet.

Chicken
12 chicken thighs
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. turmeric
1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 c. plain yogurt
2 inch piece of fresh ginger
6 cloves garlic
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 fried onion

Pan
2 Tbsp. oil
3 Tbsp. butter
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half
1/4 tsp. cardamom
Pinch allspice
Pinch cinnamon
1 bay leaf

Rice
1 1/2 c. basmati rice
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. oil
1 bay leaf
3 really large pinches cardamom
pinch allspice
8 peppercorns

Fried Onions
Oil to cover
3 onions

I've had this post now for months in my drafts folder just waiting to be posted but never getting there because the directions are lengthy. So I've decided to publish this post without them and direct you to The Bombay Chef to for the how-to. However, the ingredients above are the ones I used to make this. 


Comments

Popular Posts