Tejfeles Zöldbab

Photo Updated 7/19/2017


This right here, is a stunning ode to my photography skills. Regardless I wanted to post it. There is a German restaurant in town that has a delicious green bean salad. It's the primary reason I eat there even. So I have looked around for a while and never found anything I thought looked close and I Wasn't quite sure what was in it. Sour cream of course, and dill. But what else was baffling me. Not because of, but also not completely unrelated I bought this cookbook on Amazon and one of the first things I checked for was the German vegetable section. No such luck. None at all. But then on a whim I checked green beans in the index and they had several, including one for sour cream. It was in the Hungarian section. But being me I was on the internet one night, looking around and I decided to google it. And I finally found a recipe. The ingredients were pretty much the same as the ones in the cookbook but the method looked easier so I went with that version. I did make the mistake of accidentally adding twice as much sour cream as it called for, hence the gloopy sauce in the picture. It did still taste good though. Instead of fresh green beans I used a large can of beans, it's the only place I like canned green beans. Otherwise I think they are kind of gross, fresh or frozen with a little butter is a favorite. But canned, they just lose something, like their edible quality.


Updated7/19/2017

I also finally got around to adding a recipe. So here is my version of the recipe

1 bag frozen green beans
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 - 3 tsp. chopped dill
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp sour cream

Cook the green beans in salted water until tender.

Meanwhile, saute the onion in butter until the onion is tender. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in the dill, vinegar, sugar, and salt to taste. Simmer until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.

When the green beans are cooked, pour of most of the water, leaving about 1/2 a cup. Stir in the dill mixture and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and put in an airtight container. Chill until ready to serve. Or not, like the Armenian green beans, I happen to like them warm as well.


Comments

Popular Posts