Chicken in the Heather



Asian cuisine encompasses such different flavors than typical American food, that is where my mind goes first when I think "foreign food". European countries with a different spice combination such at Italian and Russian come next but Scotland and England seem so similar it wasn't until my dad started looking in to our Scottish heritage that I really started to look into Scottish cooking. While my original assumptions were somewhat correct, there is a lot of overlap in flavors, there are some things that stand out.

This recipe is from a website I came across called Rampant Scotland. I don't have heather honey readily available so I used what I do keep on hand which was Orange blossom honey. Heather honey available on Amazon though so maybe some day I will try it. Mustard wise I use the same mustard from my first post, in this dish. Surprisingly it doesn't come out tasting like honey mustard chicken.

I like to serve with clapshot or roasted cauliflower. 

4 Boneless, skinless, chicken breast
1/4 c. neutral flavored oil
1/2 c. honey
1/3 c. grainy French mustard
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced fine

Heat your oven to broil. 

Mix everything except the chicken together in a bowl and set aside. 

Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise. Rub both sides of the chicken breast with the sauce mixture. Place on a broiler pan and put in the oven on the top rack. Broil until cooked through without flipping the chicken. Rotate the pan in the oven about half way through cooking. 

Serve immediately. It's also good the next day sliced in salad. 

Original Picture - Post updated 1/28/2018

Comments

Popular Posts