Bulgarian Kapama


Over the next couple days I will be sharing a few Bulgarian recipes for a series I have been owrking on. Because there are so many awesome blogging events I am participating in there will be three coming up, and then a few more the following weeks. You will notice I loved getting ready for this Bulgarian series. I bought the clay pot off eBay and got cooking. I also love anything with stewed sauerkraut, esp if it has pork and carbs. I have always enjoyed sauerkraut, but having it stewed long and slow was something I first experienced with Eat the Worlds trip to France when I tried Choucroute Garnie. This recipes was as delicious as it was simple. You don't have to brown the meat first, just add 45 minutes to the cooking time. I just love the flavor the caramelization adds.

1.5 lb pork stew meat or country style ribs
2 Tbsp. oil
1 (14.5 oz.) can sauerkraut 
1 c. rice
1 tsp. sharena sol
1 tsp. hot paprika
Salt to taste
3 c. chicken broth
4 cabbage leaves

Heat the oil in a pan. Lightly salt the pork and sear in the oil on two sides until golden. Remove from the heat. 

Split the pork and sauerkraut evenly among 4 terra cotta baking dishes. Sprinkle each dish with 1/4 teaspoon of the sharena sol. Stir to mix. 

Top each dish with 1/4 cup of the rice and shake a bit to work in to the nooks of the top of the pork mixture. Sprinkle with the hot paprika, and pour 3/4 a cup of the chicken broth over the top. Make sure the chicken broth covers the rice by at least a quarter an inch, if not add more liquid. 

Take the cabbage leaf and place over the top of the liquid, pushing it down the sides some to secure it and seal in the liquid. 

Bake at 260°F for 2 hours. Turn the heat up to 350 and bake an additional 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.






Comments

Popular Posts