Madradjisko - Bulgarian Baked Eggs


Sometimes the simple things in life really are the best. I have this urge to try new things, to experiment and to capture it with photography.  And usually I know what I like, so I when I make a recipe comprised of ingredients I like, the results are expectantly good. But this, it was one of those recipes that was even better than expected, I had forgotten how much I love Bulgarian cheese and red peppers together. I can't wait to make it again and again for healthy breakfasts or for brunch get-togethers. Just layers of deliciousness, herbs, cheese, and eggs. This is great served with flatbread.

The cheese is delicious and if you can find it I really recommend making it with the Bulgarian Sirene. If that's not an option a mild feta or even crumbled cojita cheese could be used. Look around though, you can find it in unexpected places, I get mine at a local Vietnamese supermarket.

1 red bell pepper, sliced
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
8 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried savory
1/2 c. Bulgarian sirene cheese, crumbled
8 eggs
Hot paprika to sprinkle

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

In medium sauce pan heat the olive oil to medium, not high heat. Add the tomatoes and peppers strips and cook, stirring, just until the peppers start to soften. Add the whites of the onion, the savory, and the salt. Stir and remove from the heat. 

Place a quarter of the pepper mix in the bottom of each of the pots. Evenly divide the crumbled cheese on top of the pepper mixture. 

Crack and egg in a bowl and gently pour it on top of the egg mixture. Repeat with a second egg. Add two eggs on top of the cheese in each pot. 

Cover the pot with the lid and bake. Bake for 8 minutes for a softer yolk, bake 11 minutes for a solid yolk.

Remove from the oven and immediately top with the green part of the sliced onions and a sprinkle of hot paprika. Replace the lid. Serve immediately with the lid on.


Comments

Popular Posts