Kyinkyinga - Ghanaian Beef Kebabs


I love following the blogger Fred from Simple African Meals, it all always looks so delicious, every bit of it. And I've made a few of his recipes so I know that they always work and do live up to expectations. So when he posted a recipe on facebook for Kyinkyinga I was instantly drooling. Later when we were looking for themes for this years Improv Cooking Challenge I knew I wanted to suggest Meat & Nuts. There were so many options I almost went with, Fred's Ghaniaian ground nut stew and pad thai to name a few, but in the end I came back to my original plan and OH MY GOODNESS!! These are amazing!! My kids were really irritated when they found out I had known about this recipe for 11 months and not gotten around to making them.

Looking around at other recipes before making them it looks like some people add a savory vegetable mixture to the meat before the tankora powder so I went with that. I also cut the skewers in half to make small, appetizer, sized skewers and I got 20 out of the recipe. If you want them to be full sized you will get around 10.

Now the really fun part, no, not eating them, the other really fun part. Check out what everyone else made with this months meat and nuts theme!

Improv Cooking Challenge: May 2020

Ingredients: Meat and Nuts

    Kyinkyinga - Ghanaian Beef Kebab Recipe
     
    2 lb. beef sirloin
    1 green bell pepper
    1 red onion
    3 cloves garlic
    2 tsp. ginger paste
    1 Tbsp. tomato paste
    3/4 tsp. chili powder
    2 Tbsp. peanut oil
    1 recipe tankora powder, or about half a cup if store bought

    10 bamboo skewers, cut in half

    Cut the sirloin in to half inch cubes. Dice the bell pepper in to 1 inch cubes.

    In a food processor combine the  garlic, ginger, tomato paste, chili powder, and half the red onion. While the food processor is running drizzle in the peanut oil. Keep running until the mixture is pureed.

    Combine the meat, bell pepper pieces, and onion mixture from the food processor. Cover and refrigerate. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes to an hour. 

    While the meat is marinating cover the bamboo skewers with water and soak for at least 30 minutes to keep them from burning. 

    Remove the meat and toss with the tankora powder, making sure the meat doesn't stick together and gets well coated. 

    Thread the meat, bell pepper pieces, and remaining diced half an onion, on the bamboo skewers.  Brush with peanut oil. 

    Grill over medium high heat until cooked on the bottom, about 6 - 8 minutes. Turn over and grill an additional 4-5 minutes on the other side. Serve immediately.

Comments

  1. These look amazing. I can't wait to give them a try. Perfect summertime grilling food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun recipe, definitely going to give these a try when we can have people over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kebabs looks so delicious, perfect for an outdoor party!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts