I've been to Athens several times. When I was there I ate...hamburgers. Because it was Athens Georgia and not Greece, but a girl can dream, right? When I dream of Greek food, real Greek food, it's usually fried loukoumades, lots of feta cheese, and olives. This dish is a bit different but I hope you enjoy. It's great for a week night dinner because of the deliciousness factor, and it's really easy to make. And fast too if you take out the inactive time in the oven. So when Baking Bloggers announced this month we were baking pasta this was an easy pick.
1/4 c. olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1.5 lb. stew beef
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. 100% grape juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 stick cinnamon
2 bay leaves
2 c. water
2 beef bouillon cubes
12 oz. orzo
Fresh parsley, chives, or green onions to serve
Preheat the oven to 350*F.
In a medium cast iron pot heat the olive oil. Add the beef in batches, not crowding the pan, and brown on all sides. Remove and brown the remaining beef.
Add the onion to the pot and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds and then add the balsamic vinegar. Turn the heat to high and cook until absorbed. Add the grape juice and simmer again until reduced. Add the water, bouillon, cinnamon, and bay leaf.
Cover, place in the oven, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the lid, add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Cover again and cook until the beef is tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the orzo, stir to distribute, and cover a third time. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the lid. Let the dish stand for 5 minutes.
Serve topped with fresh parsley, chives, or green onions.
This month the Baking Bloggers theme was Pasta. Click below to see other great pasta themed recipes!
- Baked Mexican Chicken Spaghetti by Sneha's Recipe
- Baked Spaghetti by Simply Inspired Meals
- Cavatini by Palatable Pastime
- Cheesy Artichoke Ravioli Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesy Vegetable Baked Pasta by Cook with Renu
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta Bake by Caroline's Cooking
- Greek Giouvetsi by Pandemonium Noshery
- Macarona Bechamel (Egyptian Baked Pasta) by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Meatless Lasagna by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mushroom And Artichoke Pasta Bake by Oventales
- Pepperoni Pizza Baked Macaroni & Cheese by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Rakott teszta (Hungarian Layered Noodles) by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- Ravioli Lasagna by Making Miracles
- Sausage and Spinach Lasagna by Cookaholic Wife
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Macaroni and Cheese by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Sweet Corn Mac and Cheese by Anybody Can Bake
- Turkey Ham Mac and Cheese by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Turkey Tetrazzini by Reviews, Chews & How-Tos