Zanahorías Aliñadas


I saw a blog share request looking for a roast carrot recipe. I have a great one but I've never blogged it because it doesn't fit the international niche. Or does it? The flavor comes mainly from olive oil and manchego, a Spanish cheese. And I realized I hadn't seen many Spanish vegetables recipes. And so I googled it. And it turns out there isn't anything even remotely similar in Spanish cuisine but they do have this delicious carrot recipes. And so to use up half a bag of carrots in my fridge, and to try something new, I made zanahorías aliñadas. These delicious little rounds are tangy and smoky and perfect to perk up a weeknight dinner.

6 medium carrots, peeled
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar

chopped fresh parsley
olive oil

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes. You don't want to carrots to be too soft, just not completely hard either. Remove from the boiling water and immediately place in ice water. 

Meanwhile smash the garlic with the back of a knife. Use a mortar and pestle and crush the garlic and salt together. Add the cumin, oregano, paprika, and pepper. Keep mashing to combine. 

Remove the carrots from the ice water and slice. In a small bowl add the mashed garlic and the vinegar. Then add the carrots and add enough water to cover. Chill over night. 

Drain and drizzle with olive oil and top with chopped fresh parsley. 

Comments

Popular Posts