Ajnpren Sopa - Roux Soup


As I was writing this post I was so excited to realize I am adding a new tab. It it's really a huge deal, but that means I am trying something totally new. I've added a lot of recipes lately, but not really any new countries. I wanted to look at Croatia a bit as I made this post and I found out some really cool stuff.

Did you know Croatia has a "sea organ"?!?!? The organ is located in Zadar, Croation. A sea town, obviously, the piece is fitted on the shoreline and the incoming waves create the different sounds. Croatia is also the home to quite a few inventions from the necktie, to the mechanical pencil, to mag lights, and quite a few more.

It's also home to this delicious soup from Jas at All that's Jas.  Ajnpren Sopa is a Croatian poor mans food, which is ironic since it has such a rich flavor. The base is a delicious roux, a few seasonings, and some water. All of them are pantry staples and all of them work beautifully together for a delicious lunch or light dinner. To be honest this week I've been a bit under the weather and torn between being sick and not wanting to eat much and the foodie in me being bored and wanting to enjoy something great. This was perfect for that. It was the best of both worlds but something I will enjoy when I'm back to feeling great too. I hope you love it too.

1/2 c. oil
1/3 c. flour
2 tsp. paprika
dash caraway
black pepper
4 cups warm water
4 tsp. chicken bouillon
sour cream
croutons
parsley

In a medium pot heat the oil and the flour. Keep cooking over medium, stirring often until the mixture reaches a medium brown color. Don't be tempted to turn the heat up to make it go faster, it wont taste the same. 

Add in the paprika, black pepper, and caraway seeds once the roux is browned. Cook for one minute and then whisk in the warm water. Immediately add the chicken bouillon and let simmer for 10 minutes. 

Ladle in to bowls and serve with croutons, sour cream, and fresh parsley. 

Croutons
1 - 2 slices of bread
1 - 2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt, black pepper, garlic powder

Heat the oven to 375. 

Slice the bread in to whatever size cubes you want, I went really small for this. Combine the olive oil, garlic powder, and black pepper. Toss the cubes with the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. 

Place on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes. Check to see if they are golden. IF they are take them out and enjoy, if not keep cooking until they are. 

Comments

Popular Posts