Clapshot


As I was sitting in church, both listening to the lesson and being hungry, my mind wandered to lunch when I got home. Sunday afternoons is usually when we usually do our big family meal. I had chicken and I had pretty much decided on Scottish Chicken in the Heather, but what goes with that? And more importantly, what went with that, that I had the ingredients for? I had a rutabaga, but only one. I also had a few potatoes left, but not enough for all of us. Thankfully, I also had a few carrots laying around.

And so I combined them all in to clapshot, which is delicious. One of those things that is better than the sum of it's individual parts. And super simple. I looked at lots of recipes and they were all about the same, varying in the different proportions, but all with the same base. Potatoes, turnips, some had carrots, some not. A few had chives as well, probably delicious, but I didn't have any. 

Another thing I noticed, and one of two reason I have made this again and again over the years, unlike regular mashed potatoes you don't need milk and butter to give this mash a luscious texture. The rutabaga had a different, creamier, texture than the potatoes and does most of the work. That great texture with the subtle depth of flavor it adds is downright amazing.

2 lb. rutabaga
2 lb. Potatoes
4 carrots
1/2 stick of butter, sliced
salt

Place a large pot of salted water on the stove to boil.

Cut the carrots and turnip in to half inch cubes and place in the salted water and allow to cook for about 10 minutes. 

Cut the potatoes in to larger, 1 inch cubes, and place in the pot with the other vegetables. Continue simmering until all of the vegetables are tender. 

Place in the bowl of a stand mixer along with the butter and beat until fluffy.

Enjoy topped with more butter

Crock pot version: place the cubed vegetables covered in water in the crock pot on high and cook for three hours. Drained and continued with the recipe

Original picture - Post updated 1/28/2018

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this before but it sounds delicious! Will definitely give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts