Crepes



This is something my husband introduced me to. I had eaten a crepe, once, at a shower, and that was it.  And at the time I liked it, but didn't think again about it until years later as a young married college student when my husband was telling me when he lived in Montreal. They have since become a regular thing in our house.

They are delicious and easy and very accommodating. Serve with some whipped cream, whatever fruit is on hand, or lemon curd, or both, and you have a delicious, and simple dessert. I usually steal a few and just eat them plain as they come out of the pan while still warm. My favorite however is a splash of lemon juice and some powdered sugar.

Sweet Crepe Recipe

1 1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. water
4 eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
large pinch salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

I like to make the batter in the blender. It's the easiest way to not get any lumps. So put everything in there except for the flour and blend until smooth. Then add the flour and blend on low speed until it is all combined and then high speed to make sure there aren't any lumps. I like to let it sit in the blender for 5 minutes before blending one for time for 30 seconds. 

Heat a non stick pan over high heat while you are mixing the batter. About halfway through turn the heat to medium and allow it to heat while you finish. This helps the heat of the pan be more consistent. 

Pour about 3 - 4 tablespoons of batter in the middle of the pan and tilt and swirl to cover the pan in a thin layer. You want the crepe as thin as you can make it while still covering the entire pan. Once the edges look dry and the crepe is cooked enough to stand up to flipping turn over and cook a few more seconds. Remove from the pan to a plate and start the next one. 

Crepes on the plate don't stick together and the reheat really well. So go ahead, make a double batch!

For several berry sauce recipes, check out this post. I used the raspberry sauce recipe with the honey and sugar for the black berry sauce in the picture.

For savory crepes leave out the vanilla and reduce the sugar to 1 tablespoon.



Previous pictures - Post undated 1/12/18

Comments

Popular Posts