Summer Fresh Corn Chowder
This soup is one of my favorite summer recipes. The corn flavor is front and center in this delicious soup, highlighted by bacon and cream. Usually i just eat it steamed with tons of butter and salt, but for this delicious soup I make an exception.
Much like when you use a chicken frame to make broth, in this soup you simmer the corn cobs in the broth while cooking the veggies to make a corn broth. Then add the corn kernels the last few minutes of before serving so they retain a bit of crunch.
Serve the soup with bacon on the top for an extra umami crunch.
Soup Saturday Swappers
Summertime Soups - Hot or Cold
- Carrot, Beet Red Apple Soup by Sneha's Recipe
- Chilled Peach Soup with Labneh by Palatable Pastime
- Cucumber Gazpacho by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Fresh Corn Chowder by Pandemonium Noshery
- Fresh Summer Corn Chowder by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Instant Pot Summer Soup by Making Miracles
- Summer Vegetable Soup with Sausage and Lentils by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Fresh Summer Corn Chowder Recipe
1 lb bacon
1 large onion, chopped
12 ears fresh corn
2 large potatoes, cut in to 1/2 in cubes
2 carrots, grated
1/4 c. flour
6 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. Tabasco
1 tsp salt or to taste
Cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and saute the onion in the drippings. Add the flour to the bacon drippings and cook, stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes.
While that is cooking sliced the corn from the cobs and reserve both.
Add the broth, potatoes, carrots, and corn cobs to the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add all the remaining ingredients except the corn kernels and cream. Simmer until the potatoes are completely tender. Remove the corn cobs from the pot and add the cream and corn kernels to the soup. Simmer 2 minutes longer or until heated through.
Taste for salt. Serve with the bacon crumbled on top.