Siskonmakkarakeitto - Finnish Sausage Soup


While looking at Finnish cooking for this months Eat the World a few recipes stood out and I knew I couldn't pick just one to make. This simple soup is amazing, I always forget how much we love turnips until I cook with them again.

1 (19 oz.) pkg. fresh bratwurst 
1 large onion, chopped
2 small turnips, diced
2 carrots, chopped
5 medium red potatoes, diced
2 parsnips, chopped
8 c. broth
1/4 c. parsley, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. black peppercorns
1 Tbsp. oil

Heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the onion. cook until translucent. Add the raw bratwursts on top of the onions and cook for about a minute. You want to start heating the sausage but not brown them. 

Add the broth, carrots, swedes, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes before adding the parsley, potatoes, and parsnips. Simmer for another 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender. 

Remove the bay leaves and serve with crusty bread.


Comments

  1. How many servings does this recipe yield?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had turnips or parsnips before, so this recipe was a fun experiment. The results are incredibly delicious, and with far more than I actually needed! I'll have plenty of leftovers to share with friends. Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts