Ash Reshteh - Persian Bean Soup
Greetings! I am so excited to once again be joining what was my absolute favorite group blogging group, Eat the World. I think it's been years, and I'm so excited to be back. This time, we are traveling to the far eastern country of Iran. I'm doing that with the delicious soup, Ash-e Reshteh. A vibrant mix of delicious broth, vibrant greens and herbs, and three types of beans. All topped with more onions, a mint oil, and a kashk, a local dairy product somewhat similar to yogurt but saltier and tangier.
This soup is traditionally eaten for the springtime holiday, Nowruz. The name "Nowruz" means new day, and is celebrated in Iran, Afghanistan, and some surrounding areas. The soup is full of long tangly noodles and represents untangling the complexities life presents us with. In terms of flavor through, in this dish, complex is good.
A couple of notes before you get started. Kashk is the dairy called for in this recipe. It can usually be found at any middle eastern market. If that isn't an option for you, plain yogurt with a few additions can be a great substitute. The pasta also is unique, but linguini or udon can also be substitutes. For turmeric, dry is a really easy option and is easy to find in almost any supermarket. I happened to have some of those frozen pods in my freezer, and I like the taste of fresh better than dry for turmeric. By a lot, so I went with that. Use whichever you have around or prefer.
Check out what everyone else is making this month for our Eat the World Challenge
- Ash Reshteh by Pandemonium Noshery
- Keto Khoresh Bamieh With Beef Mince by Sneha's Recipe
- Khoresht Gheymeh Nesar by Culinary Cam
- Sālād-é-Shirāzi by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sohan-e Qom (Saffron Brittle) by Amy's Cooking Adventures


Comments
Post a Comment