This is a delightful convergence of so many things I love. Mediterranean food of course, eggplant, olive oil, and all of it cooked down into a jammy spread? Yeah, I knew this was happening. And as luck would have it I had an eggplant hanging around I had purchased for another recipe that wasn't getting made. I can't say I regret it because this recipe from La Cucina Italiana was absolutely delicious.
Caponata is an eggplant-based dish that is somewhere between a spread and a relish. It's a chunky eggplant dish elevated with things like olives, capers, pine nuts, garlic, and fresh basil. It's both hearty and light and makes for a great dinner or snack.
Check out these other great recipes with fresh basil from the other members joining us for Sunday Funday.
- Sicilian Caponata from Pandemonium Noshery
- Creamy Turkey Pesto Risotto from Amy's Kitchen Adventures
- Honeydew Caprese Salad from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Keto Avocado & Basil Green Goddess Dressing from Sneha’s Recipe
- Pad Kee Mao (Thai Drunken Noodles) from Palatable Pastime
- Pesto Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories