Cranberry Walnut Bars
Welcome to this weeks From Out Dinner Table! This week we are focusing on all the fun things you can do with a fun little winter fruit, the tart and vibrant cranberry. We all love squash and pumpkin, especially pumpkin spice this time of year but as soon as that is over we transition right to peppermint and cranberry doesn't get enough of its time in the spotlight. They are tangy, tart, fruity, and best of all bright pink. Seriously though, there isn't any food coloring in these bars and just look at that color!
What is mahalab? Well, it's a spice common in middle eastern cooking that is made from the center part of the pit of cherries. Sounds peculiar? It's actually delicious, it adds a fruityness with spiced notes without being as distinct as cinnamon or allspice. It goes perfectly in wintery desserts and just about any crust. I also use it in gluten free baked goods for a bit of additional flavor. It's easy to find on Amazon but if you can't find it or don't want to order, no worries, it's great without it.
The elderflower cordial is another fun ingredient that adds so much to the final dish. It can be purchased at most World Markets and online through Amazon. I have seen it once or twice at Homegoods, TJMaxx, and Ross, but inconsistently.
- Brie and Cranberry Tarts from Jen Around the World
- Coconut Cranberry Bars from Blogghetti
- Cranberry Apple Crisp from Art of Natural Living
- Cranberry Bliss Bars from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Christmas Cake from Devour Dinner
- Cranberry Christmas Kiss Cocktail from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Crackle Tart from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Cranberry Walnut Bars from Pandemonium Noshery
- Cranberry-Walnut Oat Bread from The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Cranberry Scones from Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Meatballs from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Sourdough Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls from That Recipe
- Vegan Almond, Coconut, and Cranberry Chutney from Magical Ingredients
- Winter Sangria from Fresh April Flours