Achards - Reunion Island Cabbage Salad


     In November Eat the World recipe challenge highlighted the Reunion Island. I was thrilled because It wasn't someplace I was familiar with and I wanted to try some new things out. It was fun because it was a mix of French, Indian, and African cultures all blended into one. For my recipe, I went with the classic Sausage Rougails and Zembrocal Rice. It was delicious but as I was looking I saw another recipe that looked quite intriguing called Vanilla Duck. 

    I have been having fun with vanilla lately and making my own extracts since I joined a vanilla co-op and have been able to access them economically. So then I found the duck and was all set for dinner. As I was planning dinner I realized I wanted something to go with the duck and rice and started looking for vegetable dishes to go with it. That led me to a blog titled simply "Le Reunion" and a recipe for achards. Achards is a quick stir-fried cabbage recipe that is supposed to be a salad so the vegetables are left crisp-tender. 

1/2 cabbage, sliced thin
1 large carrot, julienned
2 c. green beans, cut in half
1 large onion, sliced
2 tsp. garlic paste
1 tsp. ginger paste
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. oil

In a bowl mix together the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and both peppers. Set aside. 

In a large skillet heat the oil over high heat. Add the onions and cook, without stirring, until crisp. add the green beans and cook, stirring, until slightly cooked. Add the paste mix and stir quickly and then add the cabbage and carrots. Cook, while stirring constantly, until SLIGHTLY cooked. 

Immediately remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and vinegar. Toss to coat and transfer to a serving bowl to remove from the hot pan and keep it from cooking further. 

Season with salt to taste and serve immediately. 

Comments

Popular Posts