Greek Taverna Chicken


I was visiting family last week after the birth of my newest niece and one of the meals that was brought over was from a Greek lady. The pan was labeled "Taverna Chicken" and I immediately got to googling.  There weren't many dishes similar to the one I had eaten, but I thought I could figure it out. When I got home it went on the menu and I was pretty proud of myself for getting it right the first time around.

As you can see I was in a hurry and forgot the lemon slices on top but I really encourage you to add them, I will next week when I have my own visiting company to cook for. But if you forget, no big deal, it's still delicious as is.

4 - 6 Chicken Breasts
8 Tbsp. (1/2 c.) olive oil
3 shallots, minced
1 tsp. oregano
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 onions, sliced
1 can artichokes, drained
1 red pepper, chopped
1 lemon, sliced thin

Chives, green onions, parsley, or fresh oregano to garnish
Brown rice to serve

Combine the shallots, oregano, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the chicken breast to the lemon juice marinate. Chill for 1 hour. 

Pre-heat the oven to 425°F

Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Remove the chicken from the lemon mixture but reserve the marinate. Season the chicken on both sides with the salt. Sear the chicken on both sides and remove from the pan but keep warm. 

Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the onions. Turn the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes until golden and shrunken. Add the red pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the artichoke to the pan and push all of the onion mixture to one side of the pan. 

Place three of the chicken breasts in the pan on the side away from the onions. Scoop the onions on top of the chicken and add the remaining three chicken breasts to the other side of the pan. Spread the onions so they are even on top of the chicken. 

Pour the marinate on top of the chicken and onions, season lightly with salt, and top the chicken with the sliced lemons. Bring to a boil and then place in the oven

Bake at 425°F for 25 - 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165°F in the center. 

Remove from the oven, top with fresh herbs if desired, and serve with cooked brown rice.

Comments

Popular Posts