Low Country Boil



I hope this post doesn't get me burned at the stake, but y'all, I made Low Country Boil without any seafood at all. I grew up on crabbing on the Chesapeake Bay and spent most of my adult life in Savannah Georgia and I love a crab or shrimp boil. But somewhere along the line as a kid I realized I was allergic to seafood and that was the end of that. No more boil. But my kids, they didn't want that to mean they had to miss out, and to be honest it's really fun to eat, how often can you sling dinner on the table on top of some news papers and call it good?

I love serving this with lemon butter but regular melted butter is amazing too if that isn't your thing. I happen to also be allergic to seaweed but if you want to add a bit more "sea flavor" to your dish that's the reason for the seaweed sheet. Feel free to leave it out, I did.

8 ears corn, cut in half
1 lb. kielbasa, sliced
1.5 lb. small potatoes
1 lb. chicken breast pieces, tender cut
1 sheet seaweed (optional)
1 onion, cut in quarters
1 c. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 c. mustard seeds
2 Tbsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. dill seeds
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. allspice seeds

1 stick butter, melted
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt

Bring a gallon and a half of water to a boil. It should only fill the pot about half way. Add the onion, seaweed, vinegar, salt, mustard, coriander, red pepper, dill, bay leaves, and allspice to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes. 

Add the potatoes and bring back to a boil. Continue cooking until the potatoes are about halfway tender. 

Add the chicken pieces and simmer another 10 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for another 10 minutes. 

Add the corn pieces and cook just until the corn is cooked on all sides, about 4-5 minutes. 

Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and serve on newspaper with lemon butter.

Whisk together the butter, lemon, and salt. Microwave for 30 seconds.


Comments

Popular Posts