Scottish Macaroon Candy #Foodie Extravaganza Party


This post is celebrating all things potatoes with Foodie Extravaganza for National Potato Lovers Day on the 8th. You can do just about anything with them, what's not to love? Samwise Gamgee famously said "boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew". What even Sam didn't know is that they can also make a pretty tasty candy base. 

When I think of macaroons I think of coconut cookies, sometimes dipped in chocolate. So when I was looking for Scottish desserts that did not involve whiskey for Burns Night, no easy feat I assure you, I found Scottish Macaroon over at Christina's Cucina and thought it looked delicious. When I posted this on facebook someone commented it looked like a poor man's candy, which really I think is the basis for most Scottish food.

When I told my kids I was making candy with potatoes they were really skeptical. One kid didn't even want to give them a try. Moroccan stew? Totally fine. Brussels sprouts? They fight over them. Kimchi fried rice? I don't have to call them to the table twice. But potato candy, she was prepared to miss out. So it made it even better when they all loved it. I will say it is intensely sweet so the dark chocolate on the outside is needed to balance it out.

1/4 c. cooked potato
16 - 24 oz. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
12 oz dark chocolate
1/4 c. toasted coconut

Beat the potato in a mixer until mashed. Add the vanilla and keep mixing. Add the powdered sugar a half a cup at a time. Keep adding until stiff. 

Line a 8x11.5 in casserole dish with plastic wrap and press the mixture in to the pan and smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes. 

Meanwhile melt the chocolate. After the candy has sat for 30 minutes cut in to desired shapes and dip in to the chocolate, shaking off the excess. Place on wax paper, sprinkle with toasted coconut, and allow the chocolate to set up before enjoying. 

This week we are celebrating National Potato Lovers Day with #Foodie Extravaganza.

Comments

  1. This reminds me of potato candy with a twist. I'm going to have test this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts