Biko Tapol


When I was a teen I went on my first really big over seas trip and was able to accompany my Dad to the Philippines with some Filipino family friends. I loved the beautiful little city of Dalaguete. While we were there a local woman cooked for our group. There a couple things we ate that stood out to me, but one of the main things were these dark purplish patties I had initially thought were raw meat. It took me almost 20 years to even find a recipe and figure out what they were. But when I did recreating them was fairly simple. And they were as delicious as I remember them.

1 c. black/ purple/ or forbidden rice
1 c. short grain rice
3 c. water
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 can coconut milk

Place the black rice and the water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 12 - 15 minutes on a gentle simmer. Add the short grain rice and continue to cook, stirring, until both the black and the white rice is almost tender or all of the liquid is absorbed, whichever comes first. 

Add both cans of coconut milk and the brown sugar and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is once again absorbed and the rice is sticky. Remove from the heat and allow to cool until you can handle it. 

Using a canning ring with a lid in the bottom, or a muffin dish, or anything of a similar size, line with plastic wrap and spoon in some of the rice mixture and press to shape in to a patty. Drop out on to a plate. 

Enjoy warm of chilled.



Comments

Popular Posts