Pasta con Ceci



With my love of falafel and my husbands of harira we've been eating a lot more garbanzo beans lately than we ever have before. My kids happen to love them too which makes them an easy go to in my house. This recipe uses canned, not dried, which also make it's super fast to make.

Yesterday for dinner we had risotto with some homemade chicken stock. The rice didn't need it all however so I had a bit leftover I really didn't want to waste so I used it here in place of the water. Was it delicious? Completely. Will using water also be delicious? I can't say from experience but Smitten Kitchen says so, so what more can you want?

I did make a few changes, what I had on hand, doubled the recipe, etc... Don't have enough tomato paste? Well, sub in that can of tomato sauce I grabbed three weeks ago for a project I never got around to. I cut the water back slightly and used the liquid from the cans of beans. Some beans don't have much liquid with them, if yours don't add an extra cup of water.


1/4 c. olive oil
6 large cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 (8oz) can tomato paste
2 cans garbanzo beans, undrained
Generous sprinkle of red pepper flakes
3 c. Broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 1/2 c. small pasta, I used the recommended ditalini
1 1/2 - 2 tsp. salt 

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed, skillet. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook while stirring until it is mostly mixed with the oil. Add the tomato sauce and red pepper flakes and keep cooking until it is mixed and bubbly.

Add the beans, chicken broth, and salt. Bring to a boil and add the pasta. Cook, stirring pretty frequently, until the pasta is tender. 

Serve with cheese on top. I used Manchego, it's my favorite hard cheese. 




Comments

Popular Posts