Mangonada Style Float

 

    Today we are celebrating Cinco De Mayo with From Our Dinner Table! There are some great options shared here for a truly delightful and delicious holiday. I knew I wanted to share this new family favorite inspired by a mangonada. It hits all the boxes of a tantalizing dessert for me. It's sweet, obviously, but it's sour, spicy, salty, and zesty. 

     So what is a mangonada? I was unfamiliar with them until I moved to Oklahoma and realized what I was missing out on. Traditionally, which mine is not, a mango nada is a puree of frozen mangoes and mango juice, with fresh cubed fruit, and most importantly, chamoy. Chamoy is a sweet and spicy condiment made from apricots and chili and is delightful with the fruit. I opted to make mine with mango soda and sherbet instead. 

     The first time I tried one I had assumed the chamoy was going to be strawberry because of its red color. I was totally wrong, but it was delicious anyway.  The second time I tried one, was at a Bahama Bucks and it was a mango snow cone with mangoes, chamoy, and tajin and WOW, was it amazing. They used the tamarind candy as well and that was s great addition. However, I missed the strawberries so I added a few to mine. If you want yours closer to traditional, leave them out. 

     Where to find mango soda? I went with Mt. Dew. I normally hate American fruit sodas, or anything artificially fruit-flavored, but Mt. Dew does a phenomenal job and I love quite a few of them. If that isn't your thing some other mango soda options are Jarritos and Izze. Sunkist makes a mango-orange soda that could also work. Mango juice could also be tasty here. If you go with the Mt. Dew, one 20 oz. bottle is good for 2-3 people. 

     For the sorbet, I went with Talenti, pureeing frozen mango with juice is more traditional and tastes amazing. For the top, I ran into HomeGoods one day and found the Mango Chili cotton candy so I saved a bit to decorate the top with for the look. It was really tasty. Cotton candy is better with chili and lime I've decided. But it's not really needed. 

Celebrating Cinco de Mayo


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

Mangonada Style Float
Mt. Dew Baja Laguna Lemonade 
Mango Sorbet
Fresh Mangoes
Fresh Strawberries
Chamoy Sauce
Limes
Tajin
Tamarind Stick(s)

Cut your mangoes into half-inch cubes and chop your strawberries. 

Take a lime wedge and rub the rim of your glass. Sprinkle the rim with tajin. 

Add a scoop of sorbet to the glass and top with fresh mango and strawberries. Add another scoop of sherbet and fruit and then the soda or juice. 

Top with a lime wedge, fresh fruit, tamarind stick, and cotton candy if using. 

Comments

Popular Posts