Crab Fakes - Lions Mane Mushroom Crab Cakes

 

    What are crab fakes you ask? Let start with what is a crab cake? It's a Maryland staple but they predate European colonisation and have roots in Native American cooking. It was adopted by European settlers, esp by those in the Maryland area. As I said, they are a staple in the area. So why are these called crab "fakes" instead of crab cakes? Because they don't contain any crab. Why would I do that you ask? Because I kinda grew up in Maryland and I'm also very, very, VERY, allergic to crab. I had written imitations off; I tried konjac shrimp one time when I was making sushi and it was vile. But then I started hearing about more natural versions for substitutions and I was curious. 

     I saw a challenge for mushrooms right around the same time I saw Lions Mane mushrooms in the store and I knew I had to try it. And so I did. Do they taste exactly like crab cakes? I have no idea, I haven't eaten one in decades. But the important part is they taste like I remember crab cakes tasting. And for me, that is the important part. It even smelled like seafood in my kitchen as it was cooking. 

     One thing I noted was that the mushrooms were kind of rubbery when they first came out of the pan. I had initially been planning on chopping them finer next time but I noticed that as they cooled they lost that quality and were just fine on their own. I served mine with lemon wedges and a homemade tartar sauce. Which I highly recommend. 

     One more note on allergies. Worcestershire sauce typically contains anchovies. I have tried quite a few brands that don't contain it, usually store brands, and I have found the one I prefer is the Krogers Store brand. The nearest Kroger is 3 hours from me, so I stock up when I am in there. 

Must-Make Mushroom Recipes


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!

Crab Fakes Recipe
16 oz. lions mane mushrooms
1 egg
2 Tbsp. Mayo
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp onion, grated
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh, parsley
2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
4 Tbsp butter

Lemon wedges, tartar sauce, and fresh parsley, to serve

Shred the lion's mane mushroom into small pieces. In a medium skillet add the mushrooms, a quarter cup of water, and half a tsp of old bay. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and have released their liquid. Remove from he heat and set aside to cool. 

Combine the egg, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, onion, parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoon remaining Old Bay, and the ritz crackers. Stir to combine. 

Take the slightly cooked mushrooms and working in batches, place them in a cheesecloth and apply pressure to release their liquid. I did this in four parts and each one released about a tablespoon of liquid. Discard it and stir the mushrooms into the egg and mayo mixture. 

Shape the mixture into cakes and press so they adhere to themselves. Form into 12 cakes and set aside.  

Heat the butter in a large skillet and when hot add the mushroom patties and fry on both sides until golden brown. 

Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving. 

Serve with lemon, parsley, and tartar sauce. 

Comments

  1. Jules, a friend just promised me some Lion mane Mushrooms, and you just gave me a great inspiration XO the challenge is to make it vegan!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts