Palusami - Corned Beef and Greens

     
      This dish is an amazing island recipe that makes delicious use of a few simple ingredients. Why "island" recipe? Well, it's loved and enjoyed all over but it goes by different names depending on where you are. In Samoa it's called palusami. In Tonga is lupulu, it's also similar to Hawaiian lau lau. No matter what you call it, it's a delicious mix of corned beef, coconut, and greens. The traditional greens used are taro leaves. Which are really hard to find on the mainland. Spinach is the most common substitution in the states. However I'm not a huge fan of cooked spinach, and I had collard greens. Collards are great because they are sturdy enough to stand up to longer cooking. Also, I learned to love Samoan, Tongan, and Hawaiian cooking at my church in Georgia, so adding a southern twist seemed to make sense to me. 

     This time of year we are all cooking up corned beef. Typically that's getting served with cabbage and potatoes as we all enjoy pretending we are Irish for the day. But what do you do with leftovers? I am a big believer in making leftovers something totally new. Canned corned beef is pretty common but any type of corned beef can be used. So for me it is a really great way to recreate, and in my opinion, improve (even though I do love corned beef) the leftovers. This dish encompasses sweet and savory elements, you have the salt corned beef, the hearty and delicious collard greens, and the rich and sweet coconut milk. All those elements come together for a delicious dish that is amazing served with rice. I do feel I should note that I have never once had leftover corned beef, I found some on sale and bought several. I had to cook two one night for dinner and save some before we started to make sure I had enough for this. It's a good thing I did too because it ALL got eaten. 


Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board

Posting day for #FoodieExtravaganza is always the first Wednesday of the month. This month our theme is in honor of St. Patrick's day. We are posting recipes for ways to use up Leftover Corned Beef


Palusami Recipe
2-3 c. leftover corned beef, chopped fine
2 Tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 bunches collard greens, sliced
1 (13.66 oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Heat the butter in a non-stick pan and add the corned beef. When it starts to brown and catch in spots add the onions on top. You want to cook the onions slightly but not brown them. Add the collard greens and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. 

Add the coconut milk, half a cup of water, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and lift any of the corned beef sticking to the bottom. Cover the pot and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer an additional 5 minutes. 

Remove from the heat, taste for salt and pepper, and serve with rice. 



Comments

  1. This sounds delicious. I love the "island" twist! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun Island recipe. I never think of corned beef being tropical so I would love to try it with the coconut flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great island recipe, love the flavors that are incorporated in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! Even better than with cabbage

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts