Gazpacho


I liked gazpacho way more than I thought I initially thought I would. For the longest time the idea of cold soup just sound unappetizing to me but in the spirit of exploring I went ahead and tried it. A made a teeny tiny batch to let us all have a taste and nothing more. Except...then we liked it and I had to make more. 

There are several things from my childhood I assumed I would dislike and have now whole heartedly embraced. Gazpacho, bagpipes, kimchi, red peppers, etc... However, even though I do happen to like red peppers quite a lot now, and they are common in gazpacho, I really reduced them in this recipe. I like red pepper in some places, but this wasn't one of them.


2 cloves garlic
3/4 tsp. salt (plus more to taste)
pinch cumin

3 large tomatoes
1/4 English cucumber, peeled
1 layer of an onion, peeled off
1 tsp. pimentos
2 slices bread, crusts removed

2 - 3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar 

Mash the garlic with the cumin and salt and let it stand for a few minutes. This step helps mellow out the garlic. 

Meanwhile add the tomatoes to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Add the cucumber, onion, and pimentos and blend again. Add the bread and let it sit until the garlic is done, about 5 minutes. 

Add the garlic mash, olive oil and sherry vinegar. Blend until smooth. Serve topped with chopped cucumber and fresh parsley. 

Original Picture - Post updated 4/27/2018

Comments

Popular Posts