Polievka zo Zelenej Fazulky - Slovak Green Bean Soup


     Welcome!  This weekend is the weekend for Soup Saturday Swappers and this month  I got to choose the theme. I decided to focus on frozen fruits and vegetables. We aren't seeing as large a variety of seasonal produce in the stores recently but thankfully we have so many other options. For mine, I went with a delicious green bean soup. 

     This recipe uses a few simple ingredients, and maybe one less simple. Simmer it all together and you have a very tasty recipe. The herbed vinegar gives it a bit of a pickled taste. I really recommend going for the herb vinegar, I've started to see it at my local big box store and it's pretty easy to source. I love it in so many things, the herbal infusion gives it a great flavor. If you don't want to buy a bottle, white or apple cider vinegar both work great. 

Want some great ideas for soups with frozen vegetables? Check out what the rest of the Soup Saturday Swappers group created for this

Slovak Green Bean Soup Recipe
1 bag frozen cut green beans
3 large potatoes
6 c. water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
½ - 1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. German 13 herb vinegar 
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Flour

Sour cream, sliced green onions, poppy seeds

Peel the potatoes. Cut one of them in half and mince into really small cubes. Cut the rest of the potatoes into half-inch cubes and set aside. 

Add the green beans, minced potatoes, water, bouillon cubes, and salt to a soup pot. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. 

Add the cubed potatoes and vinegar and continue simmering until the potatoes are tender. 

Meanwhile in a separate pan cook the butter and flour until thick. Add a ladle of the broth and whisk to combine. It will be really thick, like choux paste. add another ladle and whisk again, it will still be thick. Repeat this process with several more ladles, mine took about six. It will be thick but pourable. Add the mixture to the green beans and potatoes and continue cooking for 5 minutes. 

Taste the broth and adjust salt and vinegar as needed. 

Serve with vinegar, sour cream, green onions, and poppy seeds. 

Comments

  1. This soup sounds wonderful Juli. Love the herbed vinegar you used for it. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of this easy soup.Not sure I've ever made soup with green beans but I'm going to give this one a try. Is the soup swap open to others contributing. I would love to be part of it. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great theme! Thanks for hosting! Your soup is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really easy and delicious soup, and I love the flavor of herbed vinegar. I am bookmarking to try this soup. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the soup with my vegan version and posted about it. We loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts