Tahu Goreng Krispi


      Tahu Goreng Krispi is an Indonesian dish of tofu marinated in garlic and then breaded and fried. I'd never actually had tofu before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I do love fried things though so I decided to try it. And I can't say I'm a huge tofu fan, but I would eat this again. Tofu has no real flavor of its own, which means that soaking it in garlic water gives it a delightful flavor. and by delightful, I mean it tasted really strongly of garlic. Check back tomorrow to see what I served with it as we focus on Indonesian food this week. 


Fried Tofu Recipe
1 block tofu
2 eggs
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cornstarch, heaping
1 T. baking powder
1 tsp. all-purpose seasoning or salt and pepper
6 cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
Oil to fry

Start heating the oil over medium heat. You want to start it heating early so it can come up to temperature. 

Place the block of tofu in a colander. Place a plate on top of the tofu and place a jar or bottle on top of the plate. Leave the tofu to drain for at least 2 hours. Remove the tofu, cut in half lengthwise, and cut each piece into 20 squares. 

Whisk the egg in one dish and set aside. In a second bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of the season all or salt. 

Dip the cubes in the egg a few at a time. Then drop the egg-coated cubes into the flour mixture. Place the dipped tofu on a wire wrack until all of them are dipped and the oil is hot. 

Dry on each side until browned. 

Remove from the oil and place on a clean wire rack. Serve immediately. 


Comments

Popular Posts