Sumac-ade


I bought a large bag of sumac powder to make Musakhan with an went looking for ways to use up the leftovers. I remembered Penniless Parenting posting about a sumac drink she made and asked about using dried instead of fresh. She said go for it, so I did.

The first time I made it I erroneously assumed since it is tart like lemonade it would require as much sugar. I learned, fairly quickly, that it does not. So easy on the sugar and add it a little at a time, making sure all is dissolve before adding more. Then just chill and serve.

1/2 c. sumac powder
1/4 c. sugar (to taste)
6 c. warm water

Combine the water and the sumac powder, stir, and let it sit for at least 2 hours. 

Take a paper towel and separate the layers. Line fine mesh strainer with the single layer of paper towel and collect the liquid in a bowl. Remove the paper towel and line the strainer again with a non-separated paper towel and strain again. 

Add the sugar to the liquid to taste and chill. 

Serve cold

Comments

Popular Posts