Horchata


The first time I ever saw horchata I was in an airport and while I didn't order any then I was intrigued When I got home looking up ho to make my own was a must. It's wonderfully light and refreshing.

The amount of sugar varies greatly and so I didn't want to put too specific an amount. The almond milk you use, the dairy, and however sweet you want it that day. Taste as you go and enjoy!

1 1/2 c. white rice
1 tsp. cinnamon
6 c. water
1 c. almond milk
1/2 c. heavy cream or sweetened condensed milk
Sugar to taste between 1/2 - 1 cup

In a blender, blend the rice until it's as fine as you can make it go. Add the cinnamon and run to distribute it. 

Add the water and blend just to combine. Let chill overnight or at least 6 hours. Blend again and let sit another two hours in the fridge. 

Strain through a fine mess strainer or a regular strainer lined with a cloth. 

Mix the strained liquid with the almond milk, cream, and sugar to taste. 

Serve over ice with a dusting of cinnamon on top. 



Comments

Popular Posts