Hummus


I never really cared for hummus until recently. Last year to be exact. It was at that time when I had real hummus. Not that dense stuff you get in tubs in the grocery store.  Actually, it was a tub from the grocery store, but it was an Israeli one and it was amazing. We lived off hummus, or at least always had it around, for most of the year.

I knew I had to learn to make hummus myself, my family and I got used to eating it for snacks. And so I did. And it's really simple. Next step, figure out the recipes for all the condiments that you can buy on top at Shufersals.

I haven't tried it personally yet but I've heard you can make hummus with canned beans and it is still delicious. This recipe would use just under 2 cans, I think about 1 2/3. So if it was me I'd use them all and just at a pinch more of the seasonings, who wants a third of a can of beans laying around? 

1 1/4 c. dried garbanzo beans
1 - 3 large cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. tahini paste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp salt, to taste
1/2 - 1 c. water

Olive oil
Fresh parsley

Soak the garbanzo beans overnight in at least twice their volume of water. 

Drain the water and cover again, this time in a pot. Simmer over medium heat for anywhere between 45 minutes to two hours. I give such a broad range of time there because it can vary and I've had both in the last few months.

Drain and add to a food processor along with the garlic. It should be fairly crumbly now, not at all a smooth dip. While the processor is running drizzle in the lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, and just enough of the water until it is smooth. Add the white pepper and the salt. 

Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then add more water as needed. 

Top with chopped fresh parsley and olive oil  and serve with pita bread, corn chips, or my favorite, pretzels. Most veggies are really good for dipping as well.

Comments

Popular Posts