Salade de Carottes Rapees


 The first time I made and posted about this recipe I didn't even like it all that much. My exact quote was "it was good, but probably not something I would make again". I really didn't think that I would. But then one day, and I really have no idea why, I just started thinking about the carrots again. I also saw lots of recipes that claimed while mostly in Paris you will find the salad with lemon juice and salt as the dressing, it's not a terrible thing to add some grainy mustard to the dressing. And so I tried that. And loved it.

In David Lebovitz post about carrot salad he mentions that if he had to make a list of the top five national dishes of France, this would be on that list. They are apparently really popular.




4 large carrots, grated 
1 green onion, chopped fine
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp coarse ground mustard
Freshly cracked black pepper
pinch sugar
healthy dash of salt

Grate the carrots and set aside.

Whisk together all the remaining ingredients and taste. Is anything out of balance? Too acidic? Not acidic enough? What about salt? You want the dressing to be a tiny bit saltier than you want the salad, not much, but once you add it it wont seem as salty and you don't want it to be bland. 

Then stir them together in a bowl. Transfer to a serving dish, or not, and enjoy right away.



Original picture - Post updated 1/13/2018

Comments

Popular Posts